Ah, the things you can do in Vegas!

Friday, September 26, 2008

It's been a strange couple of months, not exactly busy... but I've been neglecting my little online journal here for a while. Last week, Mike and I went to ****Las Vegas**** with some friends and had some fun.

We were there for about a day longer than everyone else, so as we were wrapping up our trip and heading to the airport, we decided to make a quick pit stop. And what did we do you ask? Well, we shot an AK-47 of course!!

I think I can say with all honesty that shooting an automatic weapon was something that was on my list of things I thought I'd never do... actually, I don't have such a list. But if I did, this probably would have been on it. You see, a few years ago I was very gun-abhorrent. But love (and marriage) can make you confront things you never thought you would.

So here I am, a few years after my husband got his first gun, suiting up in the "eyes" and "ears" you need to enter the range, holding two clips in my hand. I am consoled by the fact that "The Gun Store" (real name) is moving people through like kids at a carnival ride. Apparently, there are others who enjoy this as a recreational activity.

My solace is diminished, however, by the crowd (solidly frat boy/giggly older men) and the fact that you can choose your target. Very racially diverse BTW, though the only woman on there is being held hostage (kind of like what's shown below). I do think it's interesting that out of the 15 or so target choices, there are no female terrorists/burglars/thugs. Perhaps no one is comfortable shooting at a woman, or perhaps women generally aren't perceived as a threat... but anyway, I digress.

So, in short, I did it. I shot it, a couple of short bursts only. It was scary to be honest. And surprisingly easy. I've shot handguns that kick a lot more. Afterwards, I thought about how soldiers must become desensitized to shooting with an automatic gun. Actually, I think it would be easier to get used to than I previously thought, which also scares me a little.

Anyway, to end this post on a positive note, I'll say it was fun... in the sense of here's something I can say I did in my life that is crazy, and I probably won't do again. And we got a couple of funny pictures out of it (see below). And apologies in advance for my face, I was going for "intimidating" and I think I missed the mark :) Hasta la vista, baby...


0 comments: